Friday, January 31, 2014

Snow in SC

On a sunny, warm 68 degree Monday earlier this week the local weather guys were in a frenzy predicting winter weather on Tuesday.  In typical paranoid southern style (which I don't usually mind, I'd rather be safe than sorry and hate driving in ice or snow, but even I found this past week's hype a bit ridiculous) they closed schools, daycare, government, etc. by lunch on Tuesday in anticipation for the great Snowpocalypse.  Kate and I sat at home looking out the window Tuesday afternoon waiting to get snowed in, waiting in 40 degree weather to get snowed in, and feeling silly.

Snow Bunny
By dinnertime almost everything had been cancelled for Wednesday and yet still not a single snowflake at our house, Matt was grilling our dinner outside.  Where was Snowmaggedon?  Finally as night fell so did the temperatures and some sleet started coming down.  By bedtime there was snow, real snow, falling in South Carolina!  We snuggled in for the night dreaming of waking up to a winter wonderland, sledding with Kate, and making snowmen.  I was slightly disappointment when early Wednesday morning an eager peek out the window revealed... a decent two inches of snow on roofs, the grass mostly covered, and the streets and driveway pretty clear- more pavement visible than the promised white stuff.  We already knew the daycare was closed and as we debated who would go into work when and who would stay home with Kate I got the official "Snow Day! Stay Put!" text from my boss.  Don't get me wrong, I was thrilled, but after living in Kentucky for 12 years, if my driveway and street is mostly clear then I'm definitely not scared of the main roads outside of the neighborhood.  Matt was getting ready to go to work later that morning until he got word that his office was closed too.  And so, the Three Wheelers enjoyed their first snow day together.


Of course we had to take Kate out to play in the first snow in her own backyard (she saw some snow over Christmas in Kentucky but didn't get out in it).  She crawled around a bit, watched her Daddy throw a few powdery snowballs at her Mama, and then was more than happy to go back inside and just point to it from the windows.  Later in the afternoon when the roads and sidewalks were completely clear we even bundled her up and took her for a walk to see more of it before it was all gone.





By Thursday there wasn't much snow left, but that didn't stop the city from running everything on a delayed schedule, including both of the companies we work for and Kate's daycare again.  It was a strange week with a day off in the middle of it, and I'm so thankful that we were able to stay safe and warm at home together and enjoy this rare snowy treat.  Alright, we've seen it.  Spring is more than welcome to show up now, and based on the last few years we've lived here and seen 70-80 degrees in February, it hopefully will!

1 comment: