Sunday, January 12, 2014

My Baby is One.


Wow. I really don't know where to begin this post.  Kate's first year of life, and my first year as a parent, is over.  It has been a year full of challenges, excitement, sleep deprivation, and more joy than I could have imagined.  Everyone warned me that it would go by fast and it did.

Her shirt says "Birthday Girl"... GIRL, not baby!

At 12 months old the biggest news is that a toddler has replaced my little infant.  Yup, Kate is walking! Kate's first steps actually happened weeks ago, but they were clumsy, sporadic, and never enough in a row to really be called "walking."  She diligently worked on perfecting her technique and is now an upright little human, walking proudly on two feet.  She still crawls a lot, for now crawling is still faster, but each night when we bring her home I feel like her steps are smoother and quicker than the day before and I know it won't be long until walking replaces the crawling.  Lots of people have asked me how I am handling this new development.  I think since it was a gradual process and not that one day suddenly she took off, I have not gotten too emotional about it.  So far each stage and new skill she has mastered has made her more fun and I'm excited to officially enter the toddler phase.


Favorites: bath time especially playing in the back corner of the tub, string cheese, sucking her right thumb furiously, playing her xylophone, brushing her teeth, pulling shoes out of my closet, and dancing to music

Dislikes: Being told "No!", diaper changes, pajamas, solid food, (she's going through a weird anti-food phase lately, only smooth textures like yogurt), and hair accessories

Words to describe Kate at one year old: Rambunctious, feisty, friendly, curious, mobile, and busy


Apart from the big walking milestone, Kate also keeps babbling more everyday learning and practicing her new sounds.  She has six teeth and loves to play with food but not necessarily eat it.  Milk has still been her primary source of nutrition but now that she is a year old we will start the gradual weaning process.  Although I have really enjoyed some aspects of our breast feeding relationship and am proud that we made it to one year, I am really looking forward to being finished with it.

Kate is a great sleeper (usually) and a very early riser.  She takes one, sometimes two, naps a day at daycare and definitely makes it obvious when she is ready for bed around seven each night.  Her personality is evolving constantly and I love that she is such a happy, smiley, curious explorer.

One year ago today I was relieved that the pregnancy was over and that Kate had arrived healthy and safe.  I had no idea what her sweet giggle would sound like or how shrill her cries could get.  I did not know anything about that squishy, puffy little baby with the dark hair they placed in my arms.  I know her now, my daughter.  She is sweet yet stubborn, independent yet clingy, and though she may be waddling with full speed into toddlerhood, she will always be my baby.  Happy birthday Katherine Elizabeth!  

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh, the tears! Happy Birthday, sweet little Kate! Your Mama LOVES YOU!!! What a great post and what a great journey you've had! CONGRATULATIONS on breastfeeding for a whole year - woohoo!!! You deserve a medal. And a parade. And some extra sleep. Enjoy her second year and all the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Kate!! It was so good to see you on the computer last night - can't wait to spend a whole week with you this summer!! AAaaah!!!

    ReplyDelete