Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

I love Thanksgiving. It is my favorite holiday of the year. Why? For starters, it's because I have so much to be thankful for and I love the idea of setting aside a long weekend each year to stop and realize all my blessings.

At the beginning of 2010 I made a resolution to spend this year being more thankful. I started a journal on January 1st called "2010: A Year of Thanksgiving" and everyday I write down 3 things I'm thankful for, and I challenged myself not to repeat any throughout the year. It's November and I haven't even come close to running out of things to list each day! Somedays I list broad things like "clean running water," "salvation," "socks," or "my childhood" and other days I get much more specific like "a Heavenly Father who forgives all my sins, including ___," "the nice person who let me get over in traffic this morning," "my body is physically able to take the stairs when the elevator doesn't work," or "that my husband tells me everyday how much he loves me." Start making a list if you ever catch yourself getting grumpy and you'll quickly gain a new perspective, I know I have.

The other thing I love about Thanksgiving is of course the food. Turkey is one of my all time favorite foods and all the delicious starchy sides that accompany it on Thanksgiving perfectly compliment this tasty bird. Something about getting together with loved ones to share a good meal makes me feel all sappy and happy inside.

Still not convinced that Thanksgiving is the best holiday of the year? How about that there is no commercialized stress or hype to buy things for people like at Christmas, Easter, and Valentine's Day? What about the fact that it's always a four day weekend? Depending on what day of the week Christmas hits you might not get four consecutive days off.

If you still disagree with me then.... I guess I'll write down today in my journal that I'm thankful that we're all different and have different opinions and different favorite holidays because if everyone loved Thanksgiving as much as I do then there might be a turkey shortage because we'd all want it all the time. Oh, and I'm also thankful for my blog readers, it's nice to know someone wants to read my ramblings! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment: