As far as states go in this great country of ours, there are only about 5 which I would ever want to live in... North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia. I like the southeast: it's close to family, the winters are mild, and the tea is sweet. The more time I spend researching our new future state, the more fun I think it will be to live there. Here are some of the pros to living in South Carolina:
Do I really need to explain myself on this one? We will be living 2 short hours away from the beach. Instead of waiting until vacation once a year to experience sand, surf, sun, and fresh seafood we can go on a random Saturday in October if we feel like it! We'll be close to the beach but far away enough that the hurricanes and tourists won't get us.
Not only is there a beach 2 hours away, but Lexington is located right by Lake Murray so we'll be close to water and all the fun it brings. Here's a photo taken by one of the local marinas:
It's a big lake, 41 miles long, 14 miles wide at the widest point and 640 miles of shoreline for us to explore.
Ten out of the eleven miles of this river have been designated as a "State Scenic River" and it's a popular place to canoe and go white water rafting.2. Climate!
On an annual basis in Columbia the average high temperature is 76 degrees, the average low is 51. Ahhh....
The average annual snowfall is 1.9 inches! January is the coldest month with average lows at 36, and average daytime highs at 58!! 58- in January! I'll post a lovely reminder of this come January to entice all our frigid Kentucky friends to come visit.
3. SEC
Living right by Columbia (home of the University of South Carolina) makes it into the "pro" column because it means the community will broadcast, and care about, SEC sports. We're already looking forward to attending the Kentucky games at South Carolina and it's convenient that we'll be living by a city our Cats visit each year.
I hope all the great things I mentioned here have convinced you to come see us in our new state!
Hey Jen; great job on the blog! I'm as excited about it as I am your move! So happy for you both. I just know this will be a great move for you. Congratulations, Matt! Love you! Carol
ReplyDeleteOk, so I will definitely be coming to visit you - for sure! And as we were driving back from Hilton Head I saw the sign for Lexington SC, so I kind of got to see where you will be :)
ReplyDelete