Monday, February 1, 2021

Opossum Creek Falls

Being cooped up inside in the winter is always rough, but this year- winter during a pandemic, has been especially tough.  The normal activities to break up the monotony like visiting the children's museum, having friends over to watch sports, or going out to eat are not possible and the best cure I've found for these blahs is to get outside whenever possible.  Last weekend temperatures were mild and we jumped at the opportunity to escape and explore a new part of our state.   


We found an amazing spot- Opossum Creek Falls near the Georgia/North Carolina borders, and the five mile hike led us past stunning and secluded spots along the way.  It was such a mood booster and I can't recommend the combination of nature, sunshine, movement, and time with a favorite person enough to hit reset on the winter boredom blues.







The water was a beautiful clear, green color.  We even saw some kayakers come through while we stopped on this little beach.


We followed a trail sign that said "Falls" and were amazed when we suddenly turned a corner to see this huge, high, waterfall.  It was beautiful!





We didn't bring the kids on this day trip (perks of having local grandparents in our quarantine bubble), which is partially why it was so relaxing.  They love being outside too though, they just aren't quite up to the level and distance without whining yet but I think they will be very soon.  In the meantime we have found some shorter trails near us that they can explore:


I can't wait for warmer days ahead filled with more adventures!

1 comment:

  1. I'm not sure I'm ready for a hike like that but you sure make me want to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete