They say it "takes a village" to raise kids, and it is true. There have been many times over the last six years when Matt or I was traveling for work and we called in reinforcements to help keep things running. John and Peggy swooped in once and saved the day (and exposed themselves to all our nasty germs) when the stomach bug had knocked us all down and I'll never forget how grateful I felt when they arrived so I could go throw up (and recover) in peace. After living in South Carolina for nine years, we are very fortunate that we have created our own little village too. Our Sunday School class and church family is full of sweet friends who support each other. I have neighbors that I could call in the middle of the night and as the kids get older and make new friends at school I have become friends with those parents too and we all help each other.
 |
| Carter and Colton basically live in our backyard, this gang is more like siblings than neighbors |
 |
| Kate, Charlee, and Mollie have been friends since their nursery days |
 |
| Luke and his gal pals- Betsy and Etta |
 |
| Vacation Bible School fun |
I love the community that we have created and how many people care about our kids and have been helping us raise them. However, there's no one who can love them quite like family, and for years we've been suggesting that family move closer to us. I never thought anyone actually would because we all know moving is a huge ordeal and starting over is hard. I was stunned, touched, and very excited when my parents started hinting that they were considering settling in SC for their retirement. It's an excellent choice... in case anyone else (ahem, John and Peggy) is considering a relocation I'd be happy to send you statistics on the mild winters, distance to desirable locations like beaches and mountains, local attractions, affordable housing market, tax benefits for retirees, etc.
It was a very busy spring, the Macks were back and forth for a few trips to scout out locations with their realtor and narrow down the search for the perfect spot. Once they found it, they listed the ol' homestead in Kentucky, which sold in mere hours after going on the market, giving us assurance that this plan was meant to be. By the end of May, they owned this beauty just ten minutes away from our neighborhood!
It is a fantastic property- very quiet and private, lots of shady trees, a cozy screened porch, and so much potential once it gets some fresh paint and a few updates inside which they are already busy working on in hopes of luring visitors.
 |
| Check out this fun feature of their wooded backyard |
It is wonderful to have them closer. We have already taken advantage of them being here and enlisted their help in the logistical shuffling of kids between camps and daycare this summer. I'm looking forward to having family dinners, sleepovers for the kids, going shopping with my Mom, and all the conveniences that come from having local grandparents. This was never an option for me growing up, and I think that's why I recognize how special this will be for Kate and Luke and also for me to have my parents closer.
Welcome to the Palmetto State Mom and Dad! We are so happy to have you and hope that this next chapter is all you hoped it would be! We also hope that your boldness inspires others to follow suit...
No pressure, ahem Love ya!
ReplyDelete