Saturday, June 7, 2014

Four Wheelers

I am thrilled to share that later this year we will add a new little baby to our family!  All of the answers to the usual questions that immediately follow this news are below.

Future big sister!

When are you due:  Ugh.  I hate this question this time around.  If my nearly 42 week pregnancy with Kate taught me anything it is that a due date is nothing but a GUESS, a horribly inaccurate guess in the case of most women I know, and grounds for false hope and bitter, antsy discontentment when that day comes and goes without a baby magically appearing.  (It's December 7th.  Except that is almost certainly not the day I meet this child, so please don't mark your calendars- I'm not.  Mark the 2 week window before and after it, sometime in those 4 weeks I expect a baby.)

How are you feeling:  Fine, thank you. Sure there was some nausea, fatigue, cramping, and ravenous hunger in the first trimester, but all in all I've been doing great.  Being busy with a toddler means I forget most days that I'm even pregnant.

Yeah, you look pregnant:  Not a question, but a lovely statement people feel the need to make after they find out which basically just means, "I thought your midsection was getting pudgy."  I have started showing much sooner, as my midwife explained to me was completely normal with a second pregnancy, so I usually just respond sweetly to the vigilant observer by stating the obvious right back to them, "Because I am."

Do you want a boy or girl:  I really would be excited either way, there are so many fun things about each possibility.  A baby brother for Kate!  A baby sister for Kate!  I get all mushy picturing either scenario and I can't wait to find out who will be joining our family.  I just wanted another baby, whoever shows up will be perfect.  Which leads to...

Will you find out the gender:  YES!

When: Around the end of July or beginning of August

What are you least looking forward to:  Those first 6 weeks after the baby is born.  Pure misery, constant crying, nursing nonstop, insane sleep deprivation, a toddler who's world will be turned upside down and therefore probably throwing fits at first, and physically recovering from birthing a human.  I'm really dreading it, but keep telling myself that this time it will be much better because I know from experience it gets better and that 1.) I can do it, 2.) It doesn't last forever, 3.) It is so worth it.
Might need to work on her technique for holding a baby

What are you most looking forward to:  Holding a tiny baby again.  Kate rarely curls up in our laps anymore and snoozes in our arms, and those brand new baby snuggles are just the best things in the world.

Will you have another cesarean:  This one is pretty personal, but comes up surprisingly often.  Honestly, I do not know yet.  I am both very open to, and very scared of, a VBAC.  If you have any personal experience with either a repeat section or a VBAC please e-mail me, I'd love to hear about it as I start all my research on this decision.

Who found out first:  Matt's former co-worker saw us at our ultrasound appointment to confirm the pregnancy at seven weeks.  She sweetly congratulated us and then immediately assured us, "I didn't see you here."

Will you do your weekly bump updates again:  No.  I barely find time to blog these days as it is, and putting the pressure on myself to document this pregnancy as much as the first when I had unlimited free time is unrealistic.  Sorry, second baby.  I love you, and trust me, there are many perks to being the second child.  Hopefully I'll do a few updates along the way, just nothing as involved as last time.

Stay tuned, it's going to be a crazy year!






1 comment:

  1. Wohooo!!! Congrats! Kate is going to be a great big sister :) also, just a side note: I've never met anyone who didn't have a successful VBAC. That being said, I've also not met anyone who didn't love the luxury of scheduling the second c-section! It's a tough choice, but either way, that baby's going to get here and you'll be the cutest family of four there ever was!!

    ReplyDelete