Monday, April 23, 2018

Savannah




It has been over a year since we had a kid free night away together, and thanks to a brave and sweet Grammie and Granddaddy duo stepping in for the weekend to wrangle the wild ones, Matt and I were able to take a perfect spring trip to Savannah, Georgia.  The weather was amazing, the city was charming, the food was delicious, and the strange realization that we could do whatever we wanted without considering the needs of two small children was freeing.


So we stayed out later than usual, slept in longer than usual, had more conversations than usual, and took way more steps than usual as we walked all over exploring this lovely historic town.

Look, it is dark in this picture, and we're still out on the town! Unprecedented!


It gets crazier... apparently dessert martinis are a thing now, and I approve of this sugary trend.


We did eat a lot, but I hope we balanced it out with the 20,000 plus steps we took each day.  We checked off touristy stops like Fort Pulaski, Forsyth Park, Tybee Island, Old Sheldon Church ruins, and the downtown bar district at night should be it's own must see attraction for all the fabulous people watching entertainment it provided.


I am married to Matt Wheeler, so of course, we visited a nearby fort. I consider myself a bit of a fort aficionado at this point, and I must admit that even for a non-history buff like myself, this was one of the coolest ones.  I think it was the moat that won me over.




Fort friend or not, it was such a beautiful day that it was fantastic just to be outside.  And there was the added bonus that I didn't have to make sure my two hooligans didn't fall off the edge of the fort walls or side of the moat bridge, none of which had protective guardrails!





The city squares in Savannah are adorable, like little parks every few blocks with fountains, benches, statues, and of course beautiful old trees.  We walked everywhere, it was the best way to take in all the details.


Hey, I know this guy!




It was such a relaxing trip.  Things have been hectic at work, sleep has been sporadic at home, tempers have been unpredictable, and schedules keep getting busier.  I am so thankful that we had time to slow down, leisurely sip pricey coffee at a street corner cafe on a Saturday morning, and enjoy some uninterrupted time with my favorite person.

2 comments:

  1. John and I are so happy that we were able to provide hooligan wrangling services. You and Matt looked so relaxed when you got back on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And don’t forget the excuse for puppet shows & back yard s’mores...

    ReplyDelete